Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Value Studies

After my recent workshop with Carol Marine I'm aware that I need to study values to strengthen my paintings. When she had us mix a 'middle' gray, no one got it. All were too dark. So, I mixed and matched values right on my gray scale value chart. If I squint these grays blend into the backgrounds and that's how you know you're right on.  Values and composition are the most important elements of a painting. I also did a color wheel using Prussian Blue, Quinacridone Red and Cad Lemon.



5 comments:

Denise Rose said...

This is a great idea! I need to do this too. I am taking a workshop from Carol in December, so I need to get those grays down now! Did you use those three colors that you did the color chart with for the grays also?

Anonymous said...

Hi there,

I like your blog, and so I thought, leave a comment. So maybe you can visit my art blog, its not professional stuff, just something I discovered, and then kept doing...LOL

So I hope you will, and if you follow me, I will follow you.

Jesse

Stephanie Berry said...

What a great idea doing this. I find myself sticking mostly to Carol's palette now with a couple colors I refuse to give up. Those grays are very tricky.

Bobbi Heath said...

I've gotta get one of these! Thanks for showing the way, Mary. Nice color wheel too. Hope you are having fun teaching, I'm sure the students are.

Christine said...

Carol is such a great teacher....I keep referring back to things she pointed out...especially that dominate value, secondary value and the smidge...it always works!I am going to follow your lead and do some value studies with my value chart...great idea!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...