Wednesday, March 04, 2015

Painting Shiny

Vermeil Cup
Class Demo

I'd like to say that I'm setting the world on fire here in Naples, but the fact is, I'm on island time. Sitting, reading, eating out and touring South Florida with Don and generally lazing about.
However, I have my students to keep me on the straight and narrow!
Tuesday, I painted this shiny silver cup. It's not metal but a soft vermeil kind of finish and it was extremely difficult to paint. Linda watched me sweat through my demo and then took on the task. The big issue with this finish was that it doesn't reflect mirror like images of the surrounding area as metal would, only color and shadow. We are going to go after it again next week which is the best way to understand it.
Meanwhile, I read a bunch of books including, The Boy Who Loved Anne Frank by Ellen Feldman, The Sandcastle Girls by Chris Bohjalian, The First Phone Call from Heaven by Mitch Albom, The Selected Short Stories of William Faulkner, Local Girls by Alica Hoffman and Some Girls Some Hats and Hitler; a true love story by Trudi Kanter. They were all good in an "okay" kind of way, but I'm still looking for that really great read.

4 comments:

Autumn Leaves said...

This is just fabulous, Mary! For some reason, I was thinking I was on Cathleen Rehfield's blog when I looked at this one and had to scroll up and check because the background didn't look right for her blog! LOLOL

hmuxo said...

Excellent painting, Mary. I love your brush work...you can see the shine in the cup so perfectly.!!!

Paintings by Patricia said...

Nicely done Mary....Try the Clifton Chronicles by Jeffrey Archer. Start with book one and you can't put them down.

Anonymous said...

Island time sounds pretty good to me. :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...