Friday, May 09, 2014

Three Step Value Study and A Feature

 Step One: two values

I painted this twilight scene from my neighborhood using a burnt umber value study. The first step is just the lightest and darkest values. In the second step I wipe out the middle values leaving the lightest and darkest and in step three I added color but you'll have to tune in tomorrow to see the finish. That was not an intentional tease but there is so much glare on the photo that I just can't post it ;)

Also, check out Barbara Stroud's eclectic art, food and style blog. Barbara lives in Charleston, South Carolina, is widely traveled and is a big art lover who has featured some wonderful painters on her blog. I was truly proud to be featured two years ago today! Go there to see a link to that post and wonderful shots of Charleston which is a city I can't wait to visit! 

Step Two: three values

5 comments:

rdl said...

you got off the couch, i mean futon :)

Autumn Leaves said...

Boy Mary!! I liked both versions of this piece, before and after wiping! It seems so moody, so historical and European. I was instantly brought back to Van Gogh and his intensity and some of the rural and village scenes he did early on in his self-teaching efforts. I do not know why...But I love what you've done here and to my mind, this piece just stands alone as it is!

Linda Popple said...

One of the things I learned from Maggie Siner is to do a 3 value sketch every day. I haven't done one every day, but it is a great exercise and helps with learning values. I like your value painting and look forward to the final work.
Barbara Stroud's blog is one of my favorites and saw your work on it a long time ago. Now it is time for me to look again! :-)

Anonymous said...

Wow, thank you Mary for the kind words! Love your work! Look forward to meeting you one day, let me know if you're in Charleston!!

hmuxo said...

I don't know how I've missed so much of your work, Mary! I love the value studies that you showed us...the progression is wonderful. I think its a great exercise that we should all do.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...