Friday, March 23, 2012

Naples Pier Sunset

Naples Pier Sunset
18x24 oil on canvas

SOLD
This is an 18x24 canvas for my Gallery at Tin City. I blocked it in yesterday and finished it today. 
I also want to share some tips about the brushes I'm using which are Silver Bristlons with very crisp synthetic bristles that are excellent for the type of careful brushwork I like to do. After rinsing them of paint in Gamsol and wiping them dry, I wash them with Murphy's Oil Soap. Using a ceramic or glass bowl I mash the bristles gently against the bowl which has a capful of MOS in it. You will be shocked at how long it takes to rinse the brushes completely of paint. Use only cold or tepid water and keep changing the soap and rinsing until the brushes are completely free of stain when blotted with a paper towel. I then dip them into brush shaper (by Houston Arts) and shape them so the edges are chiseled. If some of them need it, I make a little splint out of paper and wrap the tips lightly and tape them. Voila! They last quite well with the pampering I give them.

14 comments:

martinealison said...

Une très jolie peinture...
Vous avez raison en ce qui concerne le nettoyage méthodique des pinceaux...
Gros bisous

Autumn Leaves said...

Thank you for the tips on cleaning brushes, Mary. I really struggle with this end of things because I like the tips to be clean and soft and able to be shaped. And I love MOS so this will be my go to method.

Love love love the way you handled the water and especially the sun reflections!

Jo-Ann Sanborn said...

Unfortunately my brushes get no pappering! The acrylic is tough on brushes and I have to replace them more often. I love this little beauty and am sure it will fly right off the shelf at Tin City.

Susan Roux said...

Great color in this. Your grays work beautifully with the saturated oranges.

I too take time now to prepare my brushes correctly. I love that there are now products to help shape your brushes. Mine are staying beautiful much longer.

Dottie T Leatherwood said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE the water in this! And my brushes are jealous of your brushes!

Nancy B. Hartley said...

Mary, beautiful work! I love it! Thank you for the tips about brushes! Great info!

Jane said...

Breathtaking! What a beautiful sea scape! Thanks for your tips about the brushes.

Anne Winthrop Cordin said...

Stunning handling of the water, no mushy bad brush edges there! Love this painting. Wish I'd been able to fit Naples into our trip to Marco last month, went to Sanibel. Never enough time!

Marian Fortunati said...

Love the colors in this!!

Thanks for the very useful information on cleaning brushes properly. I never quite do it well enough and end up with endless numbers of frayed "afro-like" filberts. (They didn't all start as filberts.)

A said...

Love it so much.

Kelley Carey MacDonald said...

This one never made it to my Inbox - GRRRR! I love sunsets, and this one is made-to-order for me! And HUGE! You are hot, hot, hot!

Crazy RAvens Studio said...

Love the colors in this one and thanks for the brushes tips.

Headwaters Art Society said...

Hi Mary,

I shared you brush info and your website address on our arts group blog.

Anonymous said...

Unique colors and I just love them! The whole piece shimmers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...