Monday, January 17, 2011

Connie Hayes Interior

I've finally settled in here in Naples and today I found a set of acrylics that I have never used. I must admit that sometimes I'm at a loss as to what I should paint. I worry that I look too much like the painters I admire and it holds me back. It shouldn't. I know it's all been done and that we all bring our own view to our subjects. I decided to use the acrylics and was pleasantly surprised at how well I was able to 'feel' them. They also seem different from when I used them in Art School which was forever ago and they don't seem to change value as much as I remembered. I chose to copy a beautiful interior scene painted by the incomparable Connie Hayes, author of "Borrowed Views". What fun! 
Although I try to eschew political comments on my blog, today is Martin Luther King day and I've watched some wonderful biographical and Historical programs about him. I lived through the assassinations of John F. Kennedy, Robert F. Kennedy, Martin Luther King and  Medgar Evers. People who had the courage of their convictions. I was young and I felt the grief. The shootings in Tucson mirror those bewildering events. The lone gunman looking for notoriety, strikes again. Changing all of our lives.

12 comments:

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

Sometimes even a painting blog reflects real life.
Hope you all aren't too put off by my mention of the dark side.

Christine Stonebridge said...

Interesting to see the different interpretations. Connie Hayes' original suggests (to me) early morning in a farmhouse kitchen, whereas yours feels like late afternoon in a B&B. Both versions are beautiful and unique.

Christine Stonebridge said...

"Sometimes even a painting blog reflects real life" ... To life, as in art, shadow and light must fall. I consider your comments a homage to the good people you spoke of - they stood for the light and deserve to be remembered!

Susie Gregory said...

since i was going to school at duquesne when jfk was assasinated, i was able to go to washington..a bunch of us piled into a car and just drove...and it was so surreal...everyone there, waiting in line to go through the rotunda, was cold, tired, wet, thirsty, hungry, sad, in need of a potty break,and so, so quiet. i'll never forget it. ..i love your copy - even thought i don't know the original...i'm in the middle of mary cassatt's "breakfast in bed"...isn't it fun to have such good images to work from. i agree - sometimes i don't know what to paint and this is the answer!

Kelley Carey MacDonald said...

Do you have this BOOK? I LOVE her stuff. Hey, if you 'copied' Leonardo, or Rembrandt, you'd learn stuff. Copying CH you'll learn stuff, too. This is so cool. Now do your OWN interior in her style - I'd like to see that!!!

Kim Vanlandingham said...

Nice work! You must be wintering down here in Naples with the rest of us!! I have trouble going back to my acrylics. I'm so hooked on oils now.

Paintings by Patricia said...

Glad you finally made it down there and are back doing your art. Nice painting. I lived through all that Mary and it is real life.

ArtGirl said...

You know I LOVE Connie Hayes. I've looked through her book millions of times and could never nail a decent replica. Good job!
Real life is art. And vice versa...it all colors our world and how we perceive it. Thanks for the words on these wonderful people.

Anne Winthrop Cordin said...

Thank you for your rememberences of MLK. And for your beautiful Connie Hayes painting. I just copied a Diebenkorn for a local show and posted it on my blog.So much to learn from each other, thank you!

rdl said...

love it! and great post too!

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

Thank you all for your insightful comments.
I struggled a bit with this one but I shouldn't second guess myself. Anyone who will take the time to read this post and click on comment, is certainly aware enough that they aren't going to be put off by a mention of current events.
Yeah!

Teri and her Stylish Adventure Cats said...

Here I am, wandering through your old posts and having fun. I like how your paintings take things we might see every day and make them special--eggs, perfume bottle, a handsome cat...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...