Saturday, April 09, 2011

Provincetown Sunset #3

Still working on my Provincetown watercolors which are great fun to do. I've been asked what materials I use so I'll give it up. Any good sketchbook or watercolor pad will do. I'm using an Aquabee 6x12 (I like the long skinny format) 93 pound sketch paper. The paper has very good 'lift' quality even after the paint is dry for a while. I draw the sketch in pencil and then do some pen over it with waterproof Faber-Castell and Pigma-Micro pens. I then use liquid masking on the shoreline where I've indicated the buildings. I'll paint over them later. I also do a little masking in the water to keep some of the white which I can alter later if I choose. If it needs more pen after the paint I'll add some. In a sketch of a well known place with a recognizable skyline like this is, you must make the proportions and placement of the key buildings correct. From the left they are the UU Church, the town hall, the former Methodist Church which is the new (fabulous) library, the Pilgrim Monument and the two water towers.

11 comments:

Marie Theron said...

Mary, your posts are never without surprises! I love what you have done here!

Jerry Stocks said...

I love this technique. Thanks for sharing how it was done.

Kelley Carey MacDonald said...

Lovely! Thank you for being so generous!

Nancy Colella said...

Well, who knew our very own MSW was so talented with water colors! These are just great!You will knock em dead up there in P-Town this summer!

Autumn Leaves said...

This is so beautiful!

Crystal Cook said...

Wow! This is really awesome Mary. :) I LOVE those colors that you've used. And it's interesting to read about your technique I'm glad you shared that. I've been thinking about possibly doing some ink work in some of my paintings too.

Ruthie Carlson said...

Mary, Thank you for stopping by my blog as well! It really means a lot to me. I ADORE visiting your blog, I love your style and your amazing use of color! I am really loving your watercolor, I do not do watercolor so I really am in awe of it! And I love this painting as well. Thank you for inspiring me!

Anonymous said...

Mary, I love that we all have a unique style and approach, especially for watercolor. Thanks for sharing yours. Love the colors in today's piece!

Carol Schiff Daily Painting said...

Hi Mary,

I enjoyed your blog. Looks like you are enjoying life and art, trying many approaches. The watercolor is wonderful, the perspective in great. Also enjoyed reading about your technique. As I ready down the pages, I see so many paintings that I would love to bring home with me!

Marian Fortunati said...

Lovely painting and GREAT description of your process...
Ha ha ... you make it SOUND easy... Wish it was.

ArtGirl said...

wow wow wow! This is stunning!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...