Friday, November 07, 2008

Artists in Residence

I am back in the saddle, so to speak, and already thinking about adopting a shelter cat to keep Wendell, company. Well, us too. It just so happens that a good friend of mine is volunteering at the MSPCA Shelter which seems like a sign to me. I've already visited the website and picked out a couple of candidates and I'm looking forward to meeting them. Nizzy was never sick a day in her life and I was so lucky to have her for such a long time. Today, Sally Dean Mello, Kelley MacDonald and I painted for 4 hours in the lobby of the Furnace Brook Middle School as "Artists in Residence", a program organized by the parents through Parent Teacher Organization. The kids are so into it and the Art teachers there are teaching skills such as 2 and 3 point perspective, color and values. The displays of the students' work were fabulous and the coordinator thanked us and told us how much they "value" the artists. Very gratifying. This was followed by a nice lunch with the girlfriends. Life is good.

9 comments:

rdl said...

It all sounds good!

Anonymous said...

Artist in Residence program sounds and looks awesome.

Love your idea of looking for another cat. There are so many cats out there who need a good home and love that you have to give them. I think Nizzy and Wendell would like that idea, too. ;-)

Paz

ArtGirl said...

How funny! I got on here to tell you that I was chatting with a friend at an art reception last night who work for the Humane Group and had pretty much convinced me to get another kitty...And then I read your entry about YOUR search for one! Hope it goes well...
Gotta convince my husband though
:-(
Love the school thing...I wonder if I could artists around here interested in doing something like that?!

Lorna said...

life is indeed good.

Angel said...

Sounds like life is wonderful... Your paintings are gorgeous.

Cara said...

What a wonderful experience.

sandy said...

How fun to be artists in residence. Enjoyed reading you!

Anonymous said...

Mary- I love these kinds of creative events, creative not just in an artistic manner but of use of lobby space to bring awareness to kids and an opportunity for artists to expose kids to the arts.

Your Nizzy story brought a tear to my eye. They get so under your skin. Fifteen lucky years is a good long run. ( I had a cat that lived to 23! )

You've been so prolific in your painting. Such vibrant work.

PS- what kind of soft brushes were you referring to from Utrecht? I'm so used to using sable with acrylics that since I've changed to oils, I find the synthetic flats are sometimes too stiff. I'm looking for a good round sable substitute.
Thanks Mary.

RobCarey said...

Artists in Residence sounds like a great program to be involved in. I like working with kids and I love art. This gets me thinking...:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...