Thursday, April 17, 2008

3rd Street South Impatiens Study 6x8


SOLD


The Subject
My setup
Thursday is Naples Outdoor Painters day. I've met some nice people. Lotsa Massachusetts gals here. Snowbirds. Today's location was right in the heart of Third Street South and I crammed myself into a corner by a busy restaurant to tackle this complex scene. Usually I avoid locations like this. Too busy. Can't focus or concentrate. This time I was with one other sistah friend who set up near me. We both went to work and the time just flew by. No one was overly chatty and despite the fact that delivery trucks were passing 5 feet from my knees I was really in the zone. That doesn't mean that the painting is exactly what I hoped for but, I finished it. I'd like to try this again a bit larger using this reference. It's way overworked but today was mile stone for me in plein air painting. For those of you who know me well, notice my car is right next to me. You know that's all that really matters ;)

11 comments:

Lorna said...

I loved your middle image, but my choice would always be with that softer-here's-my-heart painting. And it can't hurt to be in Naples.

Janette Jones, Studio California said...

Good job staying focused in such a busy area! It's like working with half the brain when there are so many distractions...your finished painting is lovely!

Kelley Carey MacDonald said...

Look at you! I love the composition of this one - so strong! So glad you found some 'peeps' in Flavidah. I can't wait to see this painting in PERSON. 3 weeks? And I'm assuming the cooler of Diet Coke is reeeaaal close to your set up?

Just Plain 'Jane' said...

I love this painting. My first thought was 'wow' 'beautiful'!

Jeffrey J. Boron said...

Lovely work Mary! Wonderful, the way you captured this scene so bold and loose. Great colour.

Jeffrey

rdl said...

Full of stuff i bet! :D
You have all the fun!

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

hehe, the cooler full of Diet Coke is right there in the trunk :D
Thanks all ;)

Frank Gardner said...

Nice and fresh. Maybe a couple of those light values I see in the photo if you decide to try a studio version like you said.
Nothing like having the escape vehicle near by!

rob ijbema said...

lovely colors,i like how you suggested the tree,without filling it all in,keeping the focus on the flowers

rob ijbema said...

if you do a studio version,i would grey down the orange a bit with blue and place the flower pot a bit off center....

Cara said...

Beautiful painting and you are both brave and fortunate to have taken this opportunity - maybe you will inspire me to do the same over the next coupe of weeks.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...