Friday, February 02, 2007

Barbaro

They finally had to put this beautiful horse down. My husband says I feel more for animals than people and there's some truth to that. I've always had cats, dogs, hamsters, guinea pigs, etc.. and currently am owned by two cats
who travel with me to Florida and Nova Scotia every year and are endless sources of amusement and comfort to both Don and me. Each year when I watch the Triple Crown races I'm near tears before they even break from
the gate. Partly because of the majesty and dignity of the horses and mostly
Horses are incredibly delicate animals given their size and strength, and can easily die from seemingly minor afflictions.
This post is dedicated to beautiful, majestic Barbaro.

5 comments:

Kelley Carey MacDonald said...

I know there are a lot of people who don't understand what the 'fuss' is all about with this horse, but it broke my heart. These horses are bred finer and lighter to win, win, win, make us $$, and between 2003-2005 more than 240 horses died from broken bones in CALIFORNIA alone. Why are we doing this???

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

Kelley, thanks for visiting and for your comment. You and I are kindred souls here.

Anonymous said...

MSW- At the members show your piece was front and center on the wall you see as you first enter the GAR hall
FANTASTIC!
Too bad we didnt win- oh well-
Ted Pololmis best of show-whatever!
you are the besy- mwahhh!

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

yay, I got a front and center spot at Member's Show!

Mark Landes said...

Since your kind comment was the first ever comment his newbie received I looked through your paintings which are well done and enjoyable to view. My older sister in Oregon just lost her favorite horse to a virus carried by opossums. My younger sister in Apple Hill, CA raises Andalusians (www.eldoradoandalusians.com) Her site is not up to date I understand. I think you like greens.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...