Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Spring Tulips

"Tulips"
12x12 oil

SOLD

We took a trip through Gettysburg last week on our return from our winter in Naples.
The Gettysburg Military Park includes a fantastic museum and a most unexpected and spectacular treat, the Cyclorama, which is a 377' by 42' high, painting of the battlefield mounted in a circular venue with a sound system and light show. The Cyclorama on Tremont Street in Boston was the original venue for this painting! 

We did a self guided tour of the battlefield using a CD we bought in the visitors' center which gave us the option to visit at our own pace. 
I can only say that if you haven't visited, you must. The experience was moving and beautiful beyond anything I had imagined. It's cliche but just being there is a sobering experience. 

We arrived to perfect spring weather and this past Sunday I set up this bouquet of tulips on my deck and painted some post worthy work for the first time in weeks. 
In order to get these pinks and purples I had to go into my (can't live without) stable of "reds". They are Grumbacher Thalo Red Rose, Grumbacher Thalo Violet and Winsor Newton Permanent (Quinacridone) Rose. You must have at least one of these colors to make a real pink. 
The painting sabbatical is over ;) 

4 comments:

Kelley Carey MacDonald said...

This is perfect! Glad you got your mojo back! You are the go-to girl for any questions about reds!

hmuxo said...

Excellent piece, Mary...gorgeous colors....

Anonymous said...

Beautiful!!

art by Michael Perchard said...

Welcome home Mary! I so love all your beautiful art! I know I say this all the time but it is so true! I love,love how wonderfully you use color! Always makes me smile. Joyful art! Happy Memorial Day!
Michael

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...