Thursday, November 05, 2015

Girls Just Wanna Paint

"Nerf"
6x6 oil on ray mar panel

Although we don't focus on tough topics, we don't shy away from them either. 
October's topic was "gun".
Some of us had trouble figuring out a way to portray this subject but, there are many possible interpretations of any given topic, and as usual, the Girls came through.
A last minute conversation with my young nephew in which he exuberantly shared the details of the "coolest" nerf gun he had picked up at a yard sale for $1, reminded me that I could work the lighter side of this "loaded" subject. Pun intended.
We all carry a psychological burden just from witnessing horrific acts of murder and increasing gun violence in our culture. 
I don't have any answers but I remember the victims.

2 comments:

Chris Lally said...

Guns - that's a tough one. Our culture is desensitized to brutality through increasing acts of graphic violence on television. We got rid of cable TV at our house. I don't miss it one bit & will never go back. It's the best thing we could have done for our family.

Unfortunately, our society only seems shocked when school shootings or mall shootings occur. How many thousands (and I mean thousands) of kids are killed or injured by guns in inner cities every year? Where's the outrage over that? I grew up in Detroit, and was a Detroit Police officer for over 20 years. I still don't get it...

On a lighter note, though, I just love your nerf gun! Great topic. Looking forward to seeing how your group reacts to this sensitive theme.

art by Michael Perchard said...

Hello Mary!
Quick comment to let you know I am out here checking out your wonderful art and blog!
Will be writing more comments soon! Hope to be posting some of my art also!
Loving our Massachusetts fall weather! Go Pats!
Your Massachusetts and Nova Scotia Art Buddy!
Michael

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...