Saturday, March 19, 2011

Matlacha Ice Cream Shop

It's amazing how many photos I have of yellow cottages and buildings. This little place is in Matlacha, Florida a teeny town between Cape Coral and Pine Island. All of the little shops along the main road are painted bright colors. I love it.
This morning I went on an Orchid Tour at Florida Panther National Wildlife Refuge out in the Everglades. The Guide who led the tour is a wildlife biologist and photographer who also works at the Naples Zoo. He knows everything about the flora and fauna and it was a fabulous trek through the swamp, which is very dry at the moment. Afterward they gave us a nice lunch of hot dogs, chips and a soft drink while we listened to another guide talk about the work they're doing to save the panthers. A single male panther needs about 200 square miles of habitat. The whole tour was fascinating and it is free. You just have to sign up ahead of time. If you're a Florida voter they need your support. 
Can you see the gator?

21 comments:

Jerry Stocks said...

This painting is wonderful. I,too, love yellow buildings. I found the alligator after I blew the image up.

Bobbi Heath said...

This painting is just delightful, Mary. So cheerful. I love the way you've done the palm foliage, with that little bit of pink showing through.

You won't believe that it was snowing this morning in Maine. I wish I was in Florida painting with you!

Kelley Carey MacDonald said...

This one won't last, Mary, you're on a roll! beautiful!

Unknown said...

This is soooo Florida. Love the yellow building, good job.

rdl said...

Sweet!!!

Kim Vanlandingham said...

Gorgeous painting! And loved hearing about your orchid hunt. Too cool!

Jill Berry said...

Cool painting! Great design/pattern.
... From "up North", in FL.

Autumn Leaves said...

What a lovely and so quaint little shop! Beautifully painted, Mary. Your day sounds like it was interesting and eye-opening too.

Paintings by Patricia said...

Great little shop and I see the gator. What a great trip.

Lori Bonanni said...

Love everything about this!

Nancy B. Hartley said...

Mary, Great post! Love this little painting, and the story behind it!

Bruce Sherman said...

Hey there Mary!... Happy Spring!
Sorry for the long silence... but "I" have been out there tappin'... no not my toes! maple trees... as you already know! HAHA!


It's always those little things that attract our eye... that make great subjects... that everyone else misses.... 'cause they're lookin' for that "Kodak Moment"! This ice cream piece is smoooooooth... and silky. Easy to look at... easier to "digest"! A gem Mary!

Good Painting!
Warmest regards,
Bruce

PS Just a note! My verification word to send along this comment was.....cones! Too Funny!

irinapictures said...

I just love how you do the palm trees.

martinealison said...

Très belle harmonie de couleurs ... Une belle atmosphère règne dans cette peinture...
Bisous

Douglas Clark said...

The yellow building is stunning, but I really like how you painted the palms too!

Unknown said...

I would love to paint such delightful images like this. In the meanwhile I am enjoying this little jewel. It's gorgeous!

Studio at the Farm said...

Keep painting yellow ... I LOVE it! I had to enlarge the photo to find the gator.

Unknown said...

What a sweet ice cream shop! You have a wonderful expressive style!

Karen Bruson said...

Love everything about it!!!

William Cook said...

Hi Mary--Great to meet you and your work. Thanks for dropping by my blog and for your comments on the seagull piece! Your work is great Instant fan. I'll definitely be poking around for some more jewels like that shovel me out piece. Talk soon, Wm

Jeffrey J. Boron said...

Beautiful sparkling piece Mary...I'll meet you guys there, I'm buyin'!

You are really producing some exciting work and did I mention yellow houses whoa!!

Jeffrey

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...