Saturday, July 03, 2010

Two Islands Farm

This is our last day and of course it dawned beautifully. I was up with the birds (crows, are there any louder birds anywhere?) and out early to paint. Went up to Two Islands and stopped to take photos of some horses in a pasture. They all came running over to greet me and since they were in deep grass I never saw the little donkey who brought up the rear until his head emerged from the tall grass! Meanwhile, talk about swarms of flies of every kind!! I had to paint in the car with the windows up and the air on. Hedonistic....I know, I know...
I really used artists' license in this little study. Eliminated the porch on the house and the windows. Looks like two barns. Also, I had added some flowers against the white barn and after seeing the photo on the computer I took them out. It's what we call over working or not knowing when to stop ;) All they did was grab the eye to notice that they didn't enhance the
composition at all!

8 comments:

Dana Cooper said...

Lovely piece Mary...and I am with you, I would have been in the car too!

Paintings by Patricia said...

I'd have been in the car too, Mary. Great little painting.
Stop by when you get back...

Kelley Carey MacDonald said...

Beautiful. Bet you're sad to see the end of this vacation! But we missed you!

Sally Dean said...

I love this one MSW. The colors are luscious.
I think taking the artistic license is key.
You are in the drivers seat!
( literally!)

Nancy B. Hartley said...

Mary, This looks and sounds like a wonderful getaway! Also sarounds like you had a lot of fun painting! I love your painting adaptation of the photo! Happy 4th of July!

John "littlelikesand" said...

lucky you! A wonderful break, clears the mind and allows you to reshape the environment. I like the strong structure and clearing out the unimportant.

myra anderson said...

Love this painting! Beautiful horses!

Crazy RAvens Studio said...

Oh, do love the rosiness of this painting, a real feeling of dawn light.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...