Wednesday, July 22, 2009

John Carlson Landscape Study 8x10

This recent (WIP) woodland study, is a copy of one of John Carlson's typical woodland scenes. He is one of the Godfathers of landscape paintings I recently came across a series of photos I shot of a similar scene, in the woods on a snowy, sunny day. This is a practice run for a painting of that scene. Copying is one of the ways you can learn faster and although I have always advocated for it, I really never have practiced it. It does work, though ;) Who knew? I am still resting my back. Thanks for all your well wishes.

4 comments:

Gwen Bell said...

Great job and fantastic color! That yellow and magenta are great partners.

Bobbi Heath said...

Mary, I love this under painting and also the final version. I think you are on to something going back to a master like Carlson for inspiration. I think I will follow your lead. Are you stopping in Maine on your way back to MA?

Jennifer Bellinger said...

Hi Mary,
I agree about Carson..all time great teacher..love his landscape book. I bought an old color catalog from one of his shows..found it on eBAy..not often you can see his work in color. But, his landscapes are just as fabulous in black and white. I really love your woodland study, also the Measuring Spoons!

Anonymous said...

Mary,
Just wondering when the artist's open house that you do each fall will be?
Darthea Collins industrialtech@comcast.net

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...